Skip to main content

End of the School Year Celebration!

Each week on Saturday 
bloggers celebrate at Ruth Ayres Writes. 
Won't you join us? 


School ended on Friday! I celebrate this school year!!

Friday morning:
I'm sitting here as my second block students sign yearbooks and hang out for a bit. I'm going to MISS these students. This year...THIS is a special group! It's a year filled with learning and laughing and loss and growth. I feel honored to call myself their teacher. I've learned so much about endurance and strength and perseverance and humor from these students. My hope is that they carry the lessons I taught with them. My hope is they leave feeling successful and seen and loved. My hope is that they know how much they have taught me!

Saturday morning:
I wake up with another year of teaching behind me. The moments after the school year ends are filled with mixed emotions for me. I'm exhausted, relieved, sad, proud, and reflective. Already I wake up thinking...next year and I must stop myself. I need some time, a break before next year. Staying in the moment will be my goal for the next few days. Just being!

It's been a year filled with growth for me and I want to make the most of these changes. For the first time, I taught using technology as a major tool in my classroom. I'm so incredibly proud of that accomplishment! As the days pass, I'll reflect on what worked and what I'd like to change...but for now, I celebrate my students, my colleagues, my PLN, and even myself for finishing another year in education! 

Comments

  1. Here's to the moment! You capture that feeling of waking up on the first official day of summer so perfectly. Enjoy the next few days of "just being."
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right-stay in that moment a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making technology a big part of your practice. That is a big step! I always need to remind myself to slow down and take those few days off as well. Enjoy your next few days of relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing out a great year. Spend some time in that happiness. I tend to reflect and think about next year even before the school year ends. There is always room for improvement, for reflection, but I agree that you need time to just be. Read a book. Take a walk. Have lunch with a friend (one of my favorite parts of summer.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savor the first moments of summer. I second Margaret's recommendations. And sleep in or if you're like me and can't sleep in, take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, rest before planning for next year. I am glad that you have come out of this year stronger than you thought. Celebrating together with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on all you accomplished this year, Michelle! Looking forward to learning and growing with you in the months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great year! Congrats on trying something new, that can be hard. I know what it's like letting that great class go. Some years are different than others! Do something for yourself that is relaxing. The next school year will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy this beginning to your summer! Lots of time ahead for thinking about next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had that same year. Having a problem letting go. I think it is ok to treasure it for a while. Stay in the moment! Heart felt hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That time of just "being" before you begin to reflect and plan for next year is crucial. It allows you to revive and rejuvenate a bit before moving on. That being said, I've been in some type of PD every day since school stopped. What is it my mother used to say - "Do as I say, not as I do." :)
    Have a wonderful summer; I'm so glad you had a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a great year! It is summer and renewal time! Enjoy doing things that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To...

Sharing this post on Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Do you ever wonder whatever happened to your students after the year you spend together? I imagine how my students are finding life...are they happy? Successful? Do they still read? Write? What is going on with them?   I taught fifth grade for eight years. Fifth grade was such a fun year to teach because the students were still young enough that school was something they loved and old enough that they could show some real signs of independence. Fifth grade is the oldest grade in our elementary schools, so the students enjoyed their final year before moving onto middle school and the challenges that came with that new adventure.  2007 was a tough year for me personally. My dad collapsed in September of that year and then died in March of that same school year. He lived thousands of miles away, so my mind was definitely unfocused that year...but that year, Catie was in my class.  Catie was a quiet stude...

Chasing My Dream

I'm doing it. I'm chasing my dream. I've always wanted to run writing retreats and workshops for people, but I've always been too scared to do anything about it...until now. I don't know what's changed...maybe I've changed. I'm not allowing the fear to stop me anymore. I've started Selah Writing Retreats.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting the business end in order. I thought I would hate that...I don't. It's scary, but I am surprising myself with how efficient I am. Yesterday I went to a bank to set up a bank account. The woman I met with was kind and helpful and so enthusiastic about my dream. My website is set up. I've done lots of work on it. I hope you stop by and let me know what you think. It's  selahwritingretreats.com . Balancing creative with business has been challenging but fun. Creating the website, getting a federal tax id, making business cards, planning dates... My favorite voxer group is called Butt Ki...

Saying Goodbye

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at  Two Writing Teachers .  Today is the last day of sixth grade. My students will leave this classroom and they will magically turn into seventh graders. I am sad. We have to say goodbye. Goodbye to our time together. It turns out...I'm not good at saying goodbye. Emotions overwhelm me and I pull back...I want to be strong for them. Today I want to BE in the moment as much as possible. I want to talk with my students and remember our good times together. I want to pay attention to the final moments of our community. We created strong communities this year and we took care of each other.  They are ready. Summer is waiting. Seventh grade is waiting. They have written and read and created and communicated and grown every single day. I'm proud of each of my students. I ...