Skip to main content

Legacy of my Sixth Graders

All year we looked at a bulletin board covered with quotes from others. 

We talked about them. We debated our favorites. Those words became part of our community...until we used our OWN words. Using poetry every day as our inspiration, we wrote our own Beautiful Words. Those words covered the words of others.
Beautiful Words at Poet Palooza!
Sharing our Beautiful Words at Poet Palooza


As the year was coming to a close, we discussed what a legacy was. I wanted to know what they wanted to leave behind...what words got them through hard times, inspired them, spoke to them. Students found their words of inspiration and shared them on that same bulletin board...
Words to live by...

Here's a closer look at some of their words...






My favorite thing about this project is the words they chose really fit them! Here's my quote...

"...beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts...try to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will, too..."                             -from the movie Hope Floats

What words inspire you? 

Comments

  1. I will be stealing some of the ideas I see here. Those boards are awesome! I can't wait to take the ideas to my classroom and bring it into my teaching style. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To...

Sharing this post on Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Do you ever wonder whatever happened to your students after the year you spend together? I imagine how my students are finding life...are they happy? Successful? Do they still read? Write? What is going on with them?   I taught fifth grade for eight years. Fifth grade was such a fun year to teach because the students were still young enough that school was something they loved and old enough that they could show some real signs of independence. Fifth grade is the oldest grade in our elementary schools, so the students enjoyed their final year before moving onto middle school and the challenges that came with that new adventure.  2007 was a tough year for me personally. My dad collapsed in September of that year and then died in March of that same school year. He lived thousands of miles away, so my mind was definitely unfocused that year...but that year, Catie was in my class.  Catie was a quiet stude...

Chasing My Dream

I'm doing it. I'm chasing my dream. I've always wanted to run writing retreats and workshops for people, but I've always been too scared to do anything about it...until now. I don't know what's changed...maybe I've changed. I'm not allowing the fear to stop me anymore. I've started Selah Writing Retreats.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting the business end in order. I thought I would hate that...I don't. It's scary, but I am surprising myself with how efficient I am. Yesterday I went to a bank to set up a bank account. The woman I met with was kind and helpful and so enthusiastic about my dream. My website is set up. I've done lots of work on it. I hope you stop by and let me know what you think. It's  selahwritingretreats.com . Balancing creative with business has been challenging but fun. Creating the website, getting a federal tax id, making business cards, planning dates... My favorite voxer group is called Butt Ki...

Saying Goodbye

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at  Two Writing Teachers .  Today is the last day of sixth grade. My students will leave this classroom and they will magically turn into seventh graders. I am sad. We have to say goodbye. Goodbye to our time together. It turns out...I'm not good at saying goodbye. Emotions overwhelm me and I pull back...I want to be strong for them. Today I want to BE in the moment as much as possible. I want to talk with my students and remember our good times together. I want to pay attention to the final moments of our community. We created strong communities this year and we took care of each other.  They are ready. Summer is waiting. Seventh grade is waiting. They have written and read and created and communicated and grown every single day. I'm proud of each of my students. I ...