Skip to main content

Playing in Notebooks: Day Two of Camp!

English Workshop Toolkit 
Summer Camp 2014



A rainbow is a great start to the day!
Day two of camp was about notebooks. I love getting there early and setting up before everyone arrives...

Ooohh, PENS!!!

Rebecca is so excited about her new pens!
Our tables with sandboxes in the middle.

Catching up before the day starts.

Good morning!
We started with a hilarious version of rock, paper, scissors. Here are some pictures of people really getting into the game...




This group of teachers takes risks! They leap into whatever we ask with everything they have...they inspire me. After our getting to know you game, we opened our notebooks, ready to write beautiful words. We read a poem by Nikki Grimes about summer and decided to compose in the humid summer air...







The humidity didn't dampen our writing. We wrote and remembered how powerful it is to change your perspective.  Then we dove into notebooks. Niki focused on reading notebooks and I focused on writing notebooks. We shared examples and how we live as notebook writers. After lunch we gave the group time to play. Yes, you heard me. We played in our notebooks. Many people created reading timelines...some people made plans about how to use the notebooks next year...we all talked and talked and talked about our practice and ourselves and reading and writing. This is such a precious time...to talk with colleagues about teaching, to share ideas and discover new ways of doing things. We all stretched ourselves in our play time. After we played, Niki lead us in a gallery walk. Here are some of the pages that were shared today...











Here's the presentation from Niki & I...


Tomorrow, we'll learn about strategy groups. Stay tuned and follow our progress on twitter: #litjourney

Comments

  1. I am loving our "Camp"! I'm getting so many great ideas from the presenters, you and Niki, our camp counselors, and my fellow campers! I can't think of better professional develop than what we've been doing. I can't wait for the next two days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn! I feel exactly the same way! The campers are amazing!!! And I'm learning so much too! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the pens at everyone's spots - that would draw me in too! I really need to learn more and use notebooks more... I'm at that place right now where I don't know where to start! It's a goal to learn more this summer. I should've been at your camp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the examples you shared. They are beautiful. It really shows your passion for the notebook that is infectious! I am sure students would feel such a connection to this kind of work and never leave or loose their notebook!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To...

Sharing this post on Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Do you ever wonder whatever happened to your students after the year you spend together? I imagine how my students are finding life...are they happy? Successful? Do they still read? Write? What is going on with them?   I taught fifth grade for eight years. Fifth grade was such a fun year to teach because the students were still young enough that school was something they loved and old enough that they could show some real signs of independence. Fifth grade is the oldest grade in our elementary schools, so the students enjoyed their final year before moving onto middle school and the challenges that came with that new adventure.  2007 was a tough year for me personally. My dad collapsed in September of that year and then died in March of that same school year. He lived thousands of miles away, so my mind was definitely unfocused that year...but that year, Catie was in my class.  Catie was a quiet stude...

Chasing My Dream

I'm doing it. I'm chasing my dream. I've always wanted to run writing retreats and workshops for people, but I've always been too scared to do anything about it...until now. I don't know what's changed...maybe I've changed. I'm not allowing the fear to stop me anymore. I've started Selah Writing Retreats.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting the business end in order. I thought I would hate that...I don't. It's scary, but I am surprising myself with how efficient I am. Yesterday I went to a bank to set up a bank account. The woman I met with was kind and helpful and so enthusiastic about my dream. My website is set up. I've done lots of work on it. I hope you stop by and let me know what you think. It's  selahwritingretreats.com . Balancing creative with business has been challenging but fun. Creating the website, getting a federal tax id, making business cards, planning dates... My favorite voxer group is called Butt Ki...

Saying Goodbye

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at  Two Writing Teachers .  Today is the last day of sixth grade. My students will leave this classroom and they will magically turn into seventh graders. I am sad. We have to say goodbye. Goodbye to our time together. It turns out...I'm not good at saying goodbye. Emotions overwhelm me and I pull back...I want to be strong for them. Today I want to BE in the moment as much as possible. I want to talk with my students and remember our good times together. I want to pay attention to the final moments of our community. We created strong communities this year and we took care of each other.  They are ready. Summer is waiting. Seventh grade is waiting. They have written and read and created and communicated and grown every single day. I'm proud of each of my students. I ...