Skip to main content

Risk Revisited and Planning for 2015 OLW


I haven't updated you on my OLW since July.
RISK is my word for 2014. 

The plan for RISK was to get my focus off of fear. I'd fallen into a bad habit of making decisions out of fear and that was limiting me a lot!  RISK has done it's job! I feel braver...well, not braver...how can I explain this? I have more faith. More decisions are made out of faith instead of fear. It's a change I can see and feel in my everyday life. I'm so grateful! 

It's October and 2015 is approaching quickly! I am looking for my new OLW. I have some contenders... GRACE or BE or CHOOSE. Others... SURRENDER or BEGIN or STORY.

Picking my word is personal and so important to me! I'd love to hear what words you've used before and how they worked for you. I'd also love suggestions! What do you think? 

Comments

  1. I haven't written about my OLW in a while. This is a nice reminder. This year I chose Open. Like Risk, it's about being open to new experiences, trying new things, not living in fear. In 2013, I had an ankle injury that required patience so my word was Acceptance. I was also struggling with accepting my own voice, not comparing to others. I have not started thinking about 2015. I can't believe it's already mid-October! The anticipation of NCTE is great. Can't wait to meet you and all my other cyber-friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To...

Sharing this post on Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Do you ever wonder whatever happened to your students after the year you spend together? I imagine how my students are finding life...are they happy? Successful? Do they still read? Write? What is going on with them?   I taught fifth grade for eight years. Fifth grade was such a fun year to teach because the students were still young enough that school was something they loved and old enough that they could show some real signs of independence. Fifth grade is the oldest grade in our elementary schools, so the students enjoyed their final year before moving onto middle school and the challenges that came with that new adventure.  2007 was a tough year for me personally. My dad collapsed in September of that year and then died in March of that same school year. He lived thousands of miles away, so my mind was definitely unfocused that year...but that year, Catie was in my class.  Catie was a quiet stude...

Chasing My Dream

I'm doing it. I'm chasing my dream. I've always wanted to run writing retreats and workshops for people, but I've always been too scared to do anything about it...until now. I don't know what's changed...maybe I've changed. I'm not allowing the fear to stop me anymore. I've started Selah Writing Retreats.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting the business end in order. I thought I would hate that...I don't. It's scary, but I am surprising myself with how efficient I am. Yesterday I went to a bank to set up a bank account. The woman I met with was kind and helpful and so enthusiastic about my dream. My website is set up. I've done lots of work on it. I hope you stop by and let me know what you think. It's  selahwritingretreats.com . Balancing creative with business has been challenging but fun. Creating the website, getting a federal tax id, making business cards, planning dates... My favorite voxer group is called Butt Ki...

Saying Goodbye

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at  Two Writing Teachers .  Today is the last day of sixth grade. My students will leave this classroom and they will magically turn into seventh graders. I am sad. We have to say goodbye. Goodbye to our time together. It turns out...I'm not good at saying goodbye. Emotions overwhelm me and I pull back...I want to be strong for them. Today I want to BE in the moment as much as possible. I want to talk with my students and remember our good times together. I want to pay attention to the final moments of our community. We created strong communities this year and we took care of each other.  They are ready. Summer is waiting. Seventh grade is waiting. They have written and read and created and communicated and grown every single day. I'm proud of each of my students. I ...