Skip to main content

I Celebrate Middle School Writers!


Yesterday was the National Day on Writing! It's my favorite holiday...well, maybe other than National Notebook Day in May. We were busy writing and celebrating writing in room 734. 

We started with a read aloud. It reminded us about the importance of telling our story. The new picture book, "Malala's Magic Pencil". I shared magic pencils with the students and we were off!

Choices included graffiti wall writing about #WhyIWrite or about books about writing. Students could write with unusual tools including blocks, play-dough, magnets, or a letter board. Some students wrote stories together, some wrote poetry, some created quotes and others found their own way.

We tweeted our writing like crazy! The excitement was palpable. One student said, "It's so much fun, it feels like the last day of school!" 


The rest of the story will be told in pictures. There are lots of pictures. I tried to capture as much of this day as possible...


Comments

  1. "I write to have a voice." is a favorite that jumped out. Your day does sound wonderful, Michelle. Your ideas, like the pencils, inspire every time I read about them. Thanks for showing so much of this time in the slideshow. I also love writing with different things. I have some poetry blocks which Ingrid loves playing and writing with! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the quotes on pencils!! Thank you for sharing the love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much here to love. The many different ways to write had to make it special along with your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting day in your classroom! I love the various tools you provided so students could express why they write in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting, colourful, joyful, thoughtful, happy - an awesome day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New title off to reserve it. :) Thank you for always sharing and celebrating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Whatever Happened To...

Sharing this post on Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Do you ever wonder whatever happened to your students after the year you spend together? I imagine how my students are finding life...are they happy? Successful? Do they still read? Write? What is going on with them?   I taught fifth grade for eight years. Fifth grade was such a fun year to teach because the students were still young enough that school was something they loved and old enough that they could show some real signs of independence. Fifth grade is the oldest grade in our elementary schools, so the students enjoyed their final year before moving onto middle school and the challenges that came with that new adventure.  2007 was a tough year for me personally. My dad collapsed in September of that year and then died in March of that same school year. He lived thousands of miles away, so my mind was definitely unfocused that year...but that year, Catie was in my class.  Catie was a quiet stude...

Chasing My Dream

I'm doing it. I'm chasing my dream. I've always wanted to run writing retreats and workshops for people, but I've always been too scared to do anything about it...until now. I don't know what's changed...maybe I've changed. I'm not allowing the fear to stop me anymore. I've started Selah Writing Retreats.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting the business end in order. I thought I would hate that...I don't. It's scary, but I am surprising myself with how efficient I am. Yesterday I went to a bank to set up a bank account. The woman I met with was kind and helpful and so enthusiastic about my dream. My website is set up. I've done lots of work on it. I hope you stop by and let me know what you think. It's  selahwritingretreats.com . Balancing creative with business has been challenging but fun. Creating the website, getting a federal tax id, making business cards, planning dates... My favorite voxer group is called Butt Ki...

Saying Goodbye

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at  Two Writing Teachers .  Today is the last day of sixth grade. My students will leave this classroom and they will magically turn into seventh graders. I am sad. We have to say goodbye. Goodbye to our time together. It turns out...I'm not good at saying goodbye. Emotions overwhelm me and I pull back...I want to be strong for them. Today I want to BE in the moment as much as possible. I want to talk with my students and remember our good times together. I want to pay attention to the final moments of our community. We created strong communities this year and we took care of each other.  They are ready. Summer is waiting. Seventh grade is waiting. They have written and read and created and communicated and grown every single day. I'm proud of each of my students. I ...